Did you know that the "V" in HVAC stands for ventilation? Many homeowners focus so much on their heating and cooling systems that they forget there is another important aspect to their home's air – ventilation. There are many aspects to properly ventilating a home, from ensuring that furnace exhaust is pushed outside properly to making sure that bathroom exhaust fans get rid of moisture promptly. Here's a look at some signs your home is not well ventilated -- and some suggestions for fixing the problem.
You smell fumes or odors when your furnace or certain appliances are running.
If your furnace is ventilated properly, you should not smell a thing when it's on. The same goes for your range, dryer, and any other gas or propane-powered appliance in your home. If you smell a burning smell, chemical odor, or any other unpleasant scent when running your furnace or an appliance, stop using it until you can have an HVAC professional or appliance repair specialist (depending on what's producing the odor) out to address the issue. Continuing to run a poorly ventilated appliance could expose you to carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas.
You have mold growing in your home.
Allergy symptoms can arise because your home's ventilation system is not discharging moisture and is allowing mold to grow. Remember, not all mold can be seen. Sometimes, it can grow in walls and ducts.
However, if there is visible mold in your home – particularly in a room like the bathroom or laundry room where water is commonly used – this is a sign that the exhaust fans in these rooms are not working properly. If you don't have an exhaust fan, mold is a sign that you really need to have one installed. Similarly, mold growth in an attic can be a sign that the attic is not properly ventilated. Having an attic fan installed can help ensure that any moisture that accumulates up there is discharged rather than being allowed to soak into the insulation and building materials. Your HVAC contractor can let you know if an attic fan is a good idea and install one for you if needed.
You feel tired, experience headaches, or experience a lot of allergy symptoms when at home.
Fatigue and headaches are common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can occur when a furnace or another fuel-burning appliance is not ventilated. You may also experience nausea, confusion, and dizziness. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, find somewhere else to stay until your HVAC contractor can check your home's ventilation system. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.
For more information, consider talking to a professional like those at Triad Heating & Cooling Inc.Share
2 March 2016
When our air conditioner broke last year, I was fairly confident that we would be left trying to choose a similar system for a bunch of money. However, our friend who works as a general contractor explained that there were all kinds of neat advances in HVAC systems that might help us out. He explained that we might be able to enjoy a quieter system or one that filters our indoor air more effectively. We liked the sound of that, so we started shopping for a new system. After finding an air conditioner that was perfect for our place, we started this blog to educate other homeowners about new technology.